Monday, June 13, 2011

More garden and trailer updates 6/13/11

I haven't had too much time to work on the blog lately.  I did more overtime than usual last week so I could have a little extra money for my vacation coming up.  A good chunk of my free time was spent prepping for that.  I feel like I finally made some progress with that today.

It finally rained last Thursday after a couple of hot, dry weeks, so the plants were really appreciative of it.  I finally got a chance to look at the garden on Saturday morning to find all kinds of fun things that had a nice growth spurt thanks to the rain.  Since I had been getting way more daylilies out of the garden than I really knew what to do with, I decided to try to dehydrate some on the back porch under a double pane sheet of glass that I had picked up at the recycling center last year in hopes of turning into a real solar dehydrator.  All I did was prop it up with 2x4 lumber in order to give it enough space to put the trays underneath.  It worked well for just drying flower petals.  I don't necessarily think that it would work on thicker things like vegetables though.


Daylilies dehydrating on the back porch

Eggplants very close to picking.  They're Ichibans so they don't get as wide as the eggplants you see in the grocery store.

This tomato is as big as my hand and doesn't seem to be showing any signs of blushing anytime soon.

I love the little oddities on the fruit of heirloom varieties.  The tomato on the left has some spiky growth on the top of it =)

I know I need to do some SERIOUS weeding, but the broccoli and cauliflower plants are both doing well.

Saturday's harvest after a nice rain 2 days before:  6 cucumbers, 2 zucchini, 13 daylilies, and a 1/2 lb of blackberries!



Eric also did a lot of work on redoing the bottom and sides of the trailer while I was at work last week.  He is probably about 75% finished with it.  The only things left are one of the sides, the gate at the back, remounting the trailer lights, and mounting the spare tire.  I had to buy a little extra lumber today to finish it off since we didn't have quite enough scrap lumber, so he should be able to take care of that this week.  He's doing a great job with it.  I probably won't blog very much (if at all) this week since I still have lots of prep work to do before vacation.  I'm very excited!





"New" decking from scrap lumber that came off of an old porch we disassembled.

No comments:

Post a Comment